Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Queen

Friday night Mike and I went to the American Royal BBQ. It's a pretty big event in the BBQ circle, and the fact that we were invited to a tent this year was a big event for us.

Armed with a "late night sitter" we headed to the BBQ in downtown KC. The Royal is in the old stockyard area by the railroad tracks, and not overly accessible, especially when thousands of people are trying to get to the same place at the same time.

By 7:30 (two hours into our babysitter's paycheck) we arrived. The food was outstanding, the drinks were free flowing and the company of our friends was the best!

I didn't feel the full effect of the BBQ smoke and cocktails until the next day when a little brunette made eye contact with me at 6:30 in the morning. I don't know how it is, but even in my sleep I can feel Camille looking at me.

"Mommy, we should go downstairs".

I didn't argue. Coffee sounded good anyway.

Camille and I cozied up on the couch and flipped on the TV. We are having a little cuddle time when Daddy came down the stairs. He joined us on the couch.

Perched in between Mike and I, Camille puts her hands in the air and makes a grand sweeping motion as she announces "I am the Queen, and I need a dragon!"

Her face was deadpan as I broke out into a fit of giggles. Camille started to giggle too. "The dragon should be purple, Mommy. I love purple".

I wonder if a purple dragon will sit nicely under the Christmas tree?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Very sweet! Glad the BBQ event was fun.