Sunday, September 14, 2008

Rain, Rain, Go AWAY!

Our last two weekends have consisted of unpacking and organizing, and slowly getting acquainted with our new surroundings. We seem to be in an epicenter of fast food chains. There is Chic-fil-a, Popeye's, Sonic, Whataburger and all the usual suspects. Of course, being true Minnesotans that fear change, we haven't strayed far from McDonald's. That is where we discovered that you can buy sweet tea. However, we aren't far enough south for Mike to be able to order fried chicken livers at KFC (ick).

I'm settling into a large office setting again. I have been so used to working around 7 people who know me better than I sometimes know myself to being one of about 100 people. Mike is also adjusting to working at home quite well. I don't have the attention span to do it. I would be off cleaning something instead of sitting at my desk if I worked from home.

The weather here has been crappy. It has rained at least 12 of the 16 days we've been down here. Normal rainfall for the entire month of September is 3.5", and as of the 13th, we were at 7.5". When we moved here I noticed these giant storm drains. As my dad observed, you could easily fit a small child in one. After the intense rain we had on Friday, I now understand why the drains are as large as they are. It was like having a small rapid river on our street.

Today it is not raining, but it is only 59 degrees. Mike is using this break in the weather to thatch our waist high grass. The model homes on both sides of us still have their sprinklers on, so we have a moat slowly forming around our property. It is supposed to be in the 80s for most of next week...but I'll believe it when I start crabbing about the humidity.

On our way to church we saw a couple out walking. She was sporting ear muffs. I can't wait to see how people dress around here when it gets down to 30. I put light coats on the kids when we went to church so people wouldn't call CPS. Mike is outside in a t-shirt and shorts (it is still humid despite the cooler temperature), our neighbors are out in jeans and sweatshirts.

This past Friday, Mike and I went to Sydney's school for a new parents breakfast. We met the principal, and learned a little bit more about the learning standards. When Mike picked Sydney up from school, he mentioned that he had coffee with her principal. Her eyes got really big and she sank into her seat "WHY???". I absolutely love the obedience of this child. It is so refreshing compared to the rule breaker of a second child we have.

My dad has recently thrown his hat in to the ring to be the Mayor of Greenfield. After Mike gets in from thatching we are going to start working on his campaign website. I think it would be an exciting adventure for both he and my mom.

I'll take some pictures of the house as we have it decorated and email those out soon. Even though we don't have much of a social life yet, we are managing to stay rather busy. We did find an awesome babysitter in my co-worker's daughter. The girls just adore the heck out of her. The babysitter told her mom that Camille wore her out. I hope Camille hasn't scared her off.

Tonight's menu has a touch of southern flare to it. Fried chicken (thanks to my new co-worker for this awesome recipe), which I will peel the skin off of (thanks to Weight Watchers for ruining food for me), creamed spinach, squash and cornbread. Don't be surprised when my kids come home next and they have a southern drawl. HA!

No comments: