Saturday, September 27, 2008

Who is from here?

Over dinner the other night, Mike and I discussed how most everyone we know at home is from either Minnesota or Wisconsin (with the exception of my mom, Mike's dad and step mom). We ran through the list...Hutchinson, Cloquet, Duluth, Amery, Albert Lea, Minneapolis area, Bemidji etc. Here in Overland Park, it is a completely different story. This is a transient town. I have only run across a handful of people that were born and raised in Overland Park. This is what you would truly call a melting pot area. I've discovered that a large number of people are from Arkansas. Maybe it has something to do with the name.

Yesterday, Mikey and I celebrated 10 years of marriage. We hired our babysitter for a few hours and went down to the plaza for sushi. We were chit chatting with our waiter (never know where you'll find a friend) and it came up that we were from Minneapolis. He said "Now that is a cool town. It's fun here, but not as cool as Minneapolis". I agree. It is nice here, and granted we haven't been out on the town, but Minneapolis is a cool place to live. Maybe that is why so many people we know never leave. There isn't a reason to.

Tomorrow we are going to tailgate with some of my coworkers before the Chiefs game. I don't even know who they play...and I really don't care. I'm excited to tailgate in 80 degree weather. I loved tailgating with the Haugens and Luecks, and I intend to wear my purple shoes that I bought with Angela tomorrow. My old boss, Mike, who moved down here 2 years ago, didn't seem thrilled with my plan. In fact, I think I got a "look".

Apparently, the guys down here really do up tailgating. They have a special van they purchased just for this purpose. I hear it is always a BBQ feast accompanied with a lot of beer and wine. I am glad that we were able to find a sitter so that both Mike and I can go.

It is funny how quickly you fall into a routine, despite a move. We have a pretty busy day today. Sydney is doing a cheer leading camp with the Blue Valley High School Cheerleaders this morning and then next Friday she is going to cheer with the girls at the home game. We drove by the high school last night on our way home...and good Lord! The cars!!! They were everywhere. We passed the field and it was packed. I have never seen a crowd like that at a high school football game in my life. Our babysitter told us people go well over an hour early to get a spot. Yikes!!!

I'll make sure to bring my huge lens (or maybe talk Jane into meeting me halfway to borrow one of hers) so I can take pictures of Sydney where you can actually see her!

Camille has a birthday party today at a little farm for my co-worker's son. The two of them are like peas in a pod. I imagine they'll find trouble in the years ahead.

As most of you know, Mike's company was bought by McAfee on Monday. They won't close the deal until late in Q4. Worst case, he'll get severanced out and look for a new job. He's not worried, and neither am I. What he does is so specialized and in high demand, that he shouldn't have a problem finding something quickly. Hopefully though, he will be able to keep his job. He really likes the idea of working for McAfee, especially if he can do it from here. We'll see how it all shakes out and we'll keep you posted. It was only a matter of time before he went through an acquisition, I've already been through 2.

No comments: