Saturday, April 4, 2009

Britney Sighting

I'm 34 years old, and I like Britney Spears. There, I said it, and I said it for all of cyberspace to see. The truth is, I've always liked her. I can't exactly explain why, so don't ask.

When I was asked to go the concert with some coworkers, I jumped on the idea. A free concert, in a suite, high above the general public? Sign me up!

Yes, she lip synced her way through almost the entire concert, and no, I wasn't the least bit surprised. I actually expected it. There was absolutely no disappointment on my end. The show really was the Circus it proclaimed itself to be, complete with clowns, jugglers and midgets.

A friend in Minneapolis sent a link to CJ's column in the StarTrib the day after the concert in Kansas City. The article incorrectly said that there was a "Britney Sighting" in downtown Minneapolis on Thursday night. Most know that I have this love hate thing for CJ's columns. Most of the time, they make me nuts (much like the writings of Chris Coleman), so I grabbed hold of the opportunity to tell her she was incorrect via email. I debated erasing my signature off the bottom my email (why I don't know), but ended up leaving it on.

In a nutshell, I told her it was nearly impossible for Britney to have been leaving a movie Thursday night at 12:30 am. The concert in KC didn't end until close to 10:30, and it would have taken at least a half hour to get to any kind of air field, and a minimum of an hour flight on a private jet.

I admit, from the suite, I had my doubts as to whether or not it was really Britney (but I cleared that up at the bar after the show with someone who was sitting by the stage). I sent my email and went about my day.

My cell phone rang around 2:00. It was a 612 number and I thought it might be a realtor setting up a showing on the house that will never sell.

"Is this Rebecca?"
"Yes" I reply
"This is CJ"

Holy crap. CJ called me? I knew I should have erased my signature. Note to self: ALWAYS LISTEN TO THAT LITTLE VOICE, EXCEPT WHEN IT TELLS YOU TO NOT EAT CHOCOLATE

"You say you saw Britney in concert last night in Kansas City?"
"Yes, yes I did".

We went over the timeline that I outlined above. She seemed a little miffed that she printed a possible Britney Sighting off an incorrect "Tweet" off of Twitter, or whatever it is they call posts on Twitter (isn't Facebook enough?).

I hung up after a 5 minute conversation which was filled with the timeline and a few laughs. I have to say, I think CJ would be a pretty cool person to go have a French martini (new drink of choice) with.

No comments: