We are closing on the house on August 28th. I called to book the movers today and she suggested we pack and load the house up on the 22nd. I didn't know it would take 6 days to move our belongings 6 hours south. After I questioned it, she said she'd call me back, and that it may work to pack the house on the 24th instead. She estimated that we'll probably take up an entire moving truck.
This revelation totally took me off guard. I never thought of myself as a pack rat. In fact, I embrace the Feng Shui concept of keeping the chi moving by decluttering on a regular basis. You should have seen the heaps of trash we took to the dump and the countless piles of donations we left on the front step for Lupus and the Vets. I have another small, yet neat pile (because you just never know when someone might actually want to look at this place) started in the basement for the next charity scheduled to roll through our neighborhood.
Mike and I took a break this past weekend and met friends down in Scottsdale for a long weekend. The guys golfed as much as they could while the girls did as little as we could. We took a day trip to Sedona, Jerome and Prescott (up and down the mountain), but the best thing about this weekend was that I laughed so hard it hurt, and it happened several times. It's the kind of laughter that lights up a restaurant and makes others wish they were part of the conversation. They are some of the friendships that I am most thankful for. Thanks to Jen, Ryan, Jane, Shannon, Jenn and John for making it a wonderful wonderful trip.
I also learned that you can't go out without sunscreen at 3 pm down there...you still burn.
As soon as Jane sends some pictures I'll post a couple here. We saw some wicked storms roll in (Monsoon season in Arizona) and Jane took some great shots.
I did get the opportunity to see my great aunt and uncle, and my cousin briefly while we were in Arizona. As I walked into the house to give my aunt and uncle the groceries we didn't consume, my Aunt Florence says "Now, did you put all the furniture away, clean up after yourselves, leave the place better then you found it?". I felt like I was about 10. I no longer question why I am the way I am about having everything in my house just so. It comes at me from both sides of the family.
Even after reassuring my Aunt several times that I had cleaned up I still don't think she believed me. If they still had a car, I bet they'd have been on their way up there the minute we left for the airport.
This revelation totally took me off guard. I never thought of myself as a pack rat. In fact, I embrace the Feng Shui concept of keeping the chi moving by decluttering on a regular basis. You should have seen the heaps of trash we took to the dump and the countless piles of donations we left on the front step for Lupus and the Vets. I have another small, yet neat pile (because you just never know when someone might actually want to look at this place) started in the basement for the next charity scheduled to roll through our neighborhood.
Mike and I took a break this past weekend and met friends down in Scottsdale for a long weekend. The guys golfed as much as they could while the girls did as little as we could. We took a day trip to Sedona, Jerome and Prescott (up and down the mountain), but the best thing about this weekend was that I laughed so hard it hurt, and it happened several times. It's the kind of laughter that lights up a restaurant and makes others wish they were part of the conversation. They are some of the friendships that I am most thankful for. Thanks to Jen, Ryan, Jane, Shannon, Jenn and John for making it a wonderful wonderful trip.
I also learned that you can't go out without sunscreen at 3 pm down there...you still burn.
As soon as Jane sends some pictures I'll post a couple here. We saw some wicked storms roll in (Monsoon season in Arizona) and Jane took some great shots.
I did get the opportunity to see my great aunt and uncle, and my cousin briefly while we were in Arizona. As I walked into the house to give my aunt and uncle the groceries we didn't consume, my Aunt Florence says "Now, did you put all the furniture away, clean up after yourselves, leave the place better then you found it?". I felt like I was about 10. I no longer question why I am the way I am about having everything in my house just so. It comes at me from both sides of the family.
Even after reassuring my Aunt several times that I had cleaned up I still don't think she believed me. If they still had a car, I bet they'd have been on their way up there the minute we left for the airport.
1 comment:
We had a great time! Thank you guys so very much for extending you never ending hospitality!
Post a Comment