Sunday, October 19, 2008

Whirlwind Weekend

This weekend has been in the works since about the time we said we were moving to KC last winter. We confirmed our relocation to a few of the people at the dance studio we had gotten to know really well and Jeremy says "We're coming down MMEA weekend". At the time, we hadn't decided on a house yet, so that comment was inspiration to get serious about looking.

Jeremy, Tiffany and their girls were the first to arrive on Wednesday night...or rather, Thursday morning. I had to work for awhile on Thursday, so our guests laid low around the house and were able to get some nap time in.

Connie, Chris and their two kids arrived around dinner time on Thursday. Connie had told me months ago that she would teach me how to make ricotta, and of course, me being me, I held her to it. I don't think the engine had even cooled down on their truck before I had her at the stove showing me the ins and outs. Not that I doubted her, but she had told me that it was easy, and she was right. Now I can make homemade ricotta for anyone who wants it! It is all part of my plan to eventually become the best non-Italian, Italian cook. You laugh, but I'm serious.

Chloe and Camille helping cut mushrooms for my spaghetti sauce.

On Friday morning I took Tiffany and Connie to my new Mecca, better known as the Plaza. We spent over an hour alone in Anthropologie. It is quickly making its way into my top 5 favorite stores. I found a beautiful cashmere sweater for $50, on sale from $250. It was damn near free.

We had the boys meet us on the Plaza with the kids for dinner (KC BBQ style). We told the kids that if they all ate well, and behaved even better, we'd take them on a the horse drawn Cinderella pumpkin carriage ride. Sydney and Abbie were determined to get in that pumpkin because they were the first ones done with dinner, completely eating the meat portions of their entrees. Camille needed a little cajoling to eat her BBQ chicken, but mentioning the pumpkin carriage 800 times was finally enough to inspire her. Of course, it helped that a lit up one rolled by halfway through dinner and the kids just about lost their minds at the sight of it.

Getting ready to ride on the Pumpkin Carriage

The guys went golfing on Saturday morning and we took the kids to the Kansas City Zoo. What a zoo (on both accounts)! They have so many animals at this zoo that we don't have at either zoo in Minneapolis. The set-up of the zoo is really cool as well. One side is Australia, with all of the kangaroos, wallabies etc. and the other side is Africa with all of the chimps, hippos, zebras etc.


While at the zoo, I was able to show my friends some of Missouri's finest. We were crossing the bridge from Zaire to Botswana when we happened across this interesting family. The boy (aged 10) had a switch blade that he was randomly stabbing everything in site with. That in and of itself made us drop back about 15 paces. The rest of the kids were all over the place (not to say ours weren't) and would randomly stop walking which just pissed the parental-type members of the party off. We finally get across the bridge (10 or 15 minutes have gone by) when a lady with a small child walks up to this clan and asks if the small child belongs to them. What I assume was the mom from the family in front of us says "Yeah" and takes the little girl by the hand. That's it. Not, "Oh my God child where have you been" or "THANK YOU we've been desperately searching for her". But I guess looking back at it, if she was concerned about the child's whereabouts, she wouldn't have been leisurely crossing the bridge.

After the zoo we came home, put Halloween costumes on the kids and got them ready to go to the Children's Farm Halloween Party. It was complete with trick-or-treating, non-scary hayrides and a dance! The kids had a blast, and who wouldn't with a trick-or-treating opportunity on the 18th of October?


Sadly, our friends left around 10:30 this morning. The weekend went so fast, and I had so much fun. It wasn't one of our drinking nights (I still laugh about our antics the first night we went out for sushi and a "couple" drinks) but it was still a great weekend. Thank you guys for making the trip down here and for cleaning your bathrooms before you left (which you didn't have to do!).
I'd gladly have them all back down anytime, they were perfect house guests!!

No comments: