Saturday, February 28, 2009

All Done!

Earlier this month I traveled out to San Fransisco to meet a large customer of mine. I flew home by myself because my travel partner was lucky enough to be detained another day. To be honest with you, I enjoy traveling by myself. I like sitting with a book and my iPod and not having to worry about entertaining Camille.

Last winter we went to Arizona over spring break. We upgraded to 1st class for a song. Three hours into the flight (I swear planes were flying slower last year to save fuel), Camille declared she was "ALL DONE". Not partially done, or slightly done. She was all done. In fact, she stood on her seat and told everyone in first class exactly how done she was.

The nervous flight attendant, fearing further action from my then two year old, offered us a basket of snacks. Before we had time to make a selection we hit a pocket of turbulence. Granola bars took flight, crackers hit the isle, and more importantly- Camille was scared silent.

She looked at me with wide eyes as we were tossed around a little more. She allowed me to put on her seat belt. Her little voice was full of fear as she squeaked out "Mommy?".

"Camille, that was the pilots telling you to sit down and be quiet". Of course the other passengers chuckled as well as the flight attendant.

She was an angel for the rest of the flight.

I am a big believer in travel, especially traveling in the lower 48 with my children. I can't wait to torture them with family vacations to places like the Grand Canyon in their teenage years (we're going to drive there for added effect). Every time I fly, I am reminded of how vast this country is and how much there is to see.

Flying back from San Fran, I watched a beautiful sunset from 40,000 ft over the Rockies. I saw a small road snaking through the mountains and had a small tinge of longing to explore the road (despite my fear of heights). The last mountain road I toured in Arizona, I spent most of it clinging to the door and arm rest of the rental SUV.

Although my trip to California was short, I was able to take a small driving tour from San Fransisco to Petaluma (in Sonoma County). Over the Golden Gate Bridge, through the winding hills next to the ocean, and best of all, in 75 degree sunny weather.

When my coworker and I arrived at the hotel, we both talked about how great it would be to be in bed by 10:30 and not have to worry about any little kids waking us up in the middle of the night. I was giddy with the prospect as I turned around with my room key in hand. As I took a step, I saw my boss and another coworker returning from dinner (they were in town for a conference).

Cross "full night of sleep" off my list and replace with "martinis in the bar until security chases us out".

When work takes me to new parts of the US, I always make notes in my head about where our next family vacation should be. I have added San Fransisco to the growing list.

No comments: