Tuesday, March 10, 2009

The Great Carpet Caper

Anyone who has been to our house has heard me complain incessantly about the carpet in three of our bathrooms. Why the builder would have chosen this medium, especially in a model, is completely beyond my comprehension. Yes yes, I know it is cost driven, but really?

About two weeks ago Mike and I tucked the girls into bed a little later than normal. Thursday nights are usually a little lax in our house because Sydney is at dance until 7:00 ish. After the kids were in bed we settled onto the couch for our normal nightly routine; the 10 o'clock news and the 10:30 rerun viewing of "Two and a Half Men".

The clock had struck 11 and we were getting ready to head upstairs when we heard a child coming down the stairs. It was Syd and she was lurching. Crap. No, not crap, barf actually. Poor kid made it to the bathroom, but sadly, she only made it as far as the carpet.

Carrots and whatever else was consumed now lay all over the beige plush carpet. I know this will make me sound like a terrible parent, but I can't handle puke. I could barely clean up dog barf in our pre-children days.

Mike, being the Godsend that he is, cleaned the puke off the floor with the shop vac. We literally poured bottles of carpet cleaner on the stains and threw towels over the top to keep it wet. The stomach virus that plagued Sydney lasted nearly 5 hours. Her and I spent our first night on the couch together.

Thankfully I have a friend at work who loaned us her steam cleaner so I was able to salvage the carpet.

For the next week, anyone who came to our house Sydney would immediately ask "Can you smell the puke in the bathroom? I missed the toilet". And Camille was always right behind her holding her nose "It stinks in here. Sydney frew up all ober the floor".

Lovely. Welcome to our home. Can I get you a drink or maybe a nose plug?

No comments: